Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"Owl" Make You Feel Better

This is a fun, whimsical project that isn't just a cute owl... it is a rice heat pack!  I was so proud of myself when I figured out his title, "Owl" Make you Feel Better.  I get a smile on my face when I see this guy twirling in my microwave - it warms me inside and out.

On another note, tonight I taught my very first "How to Make Felted Sweater Mittens" class through Community Education.  This project goes out to the wonderful ladies who attended - here is funny way to use up some of the scraps you will be creating this week.  Thanks for the fun evening and good luck with your felting. (I mean it when I said you can call me for help!)

Materials:
Felted Wool Sweater Scraps
Black, White, Yellow and Orange Felt Scraps
Scrap Material for Lining
Long-Grain White Rice (Do Not Use Instant)
Fabric Glue
Needle
Thread
Sewing Machine

Instructions:
Make this guy whatever size you would like, but the pictured owl turned out to be 4x6 inches.   If you want to make him exactly like I did, cut out two rectangles from your sweater about 4-1/2 x 6-1/2 inches.  Cut the same size rectangles from a piece of scrap material (preferably cotton).

With right sides together, sew a 1/4" seam around the three top edges of the sweater rectangles and again on the cotton rectangles creating two pouches.  Fill the cotton pouch with long-grain white rice about 3/4 full and sew the last side of the bag shut.  No need for fancy seams - place the cotton pouch inside the sweater pouch so nobody will ever see it.  Gather the opening of the sweater pouch with your thread and cinch it shut.  This is the body of your owl.

Next, cut out two hearts for the feet from your black and orange felt (making one heart slightly smaller than the other for a layering effect).  Glue them together; then glue the feet to the bottom of the owl where the pouch was cinched shut.  You may want to add some stitching to secure the feet in place.

Next, cut two large circles out of white felt, two small circles out of yellow felt, and two smaller circles out of black felt.  Glue all three sets of circles together just as the picture above shows.  Glue the eyes to the owl.  I added stitching with white thread around the whites of the eyes but it is not necessary.

The last step is to add the beak. Cut two tear-drop shapes from your black and orange felt (make the orange drop slightly smaller) and glue them together.  Glue the beak on the owl just below the eyes.

Microwave and Washing Instructions:
Heat for 20-30 seconds in the microwave and spot clean as necessary.  (He doesn't like baths.)

Go ahead and make him - it's a hoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment