Monday, July 25, 2011

Heighten your Ceiling and Lighten Your Space

Let's create tall ceilings and more light in your spaces but let's do it without all the noise and construction dust...
  
I moved into this house 10 years ago (I can't even believe it has been that long) and I hung my curtain rods and valences as I believe most people do... I lined them up with the top of the window trim.  The windows in our room are low in the first place and I have to bend down a bit to look out because of the curtains.  Here is a picture of a window...  


I remember hearing this trick on HGTV and I was reminded of it this weekend while talking with my Uncle Jeff.  They both suggested moving the curtain rods up so that the bottom of the valance is in line with the bottom of the trim at the top of the window.  It makes you think your windows are much taller and it allows more light in the room, which makes it feel less claustrophobic and therefore your ceilings are taller.  Here is the after picture...


The one thing this picture is missing is the amount of light that is bouncing around in our room.  Now, on each window there is an extra 10 inches of glass showing.  Try it at your house... I guarantee you will notice the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment